Monday, October 04, 2004

Knit Out NY

Yesterday was Knit Out NY in NYC, Union Square to be exact. What a beautiful day for a knit out, too bad it wasn’t slightly colder. It was suppose to run from 12-5, I arrived in Union Square at around 11:20 and after a quick look around Barnes & Noble hoping to run into some Knitters Review members I decided to walk around and see who was setting up. At 11:30, Red heart, Lion Brand & Clover were already handing stuff out and there were a good deal of people there already. There were a lot of free Red heart & Lion patterns, clover was giving out some needles, and they were setting up for the fashion shows. Debbie Stoller, Lily Chin and Nicky Epstein were there among others.

At 12, I sat in on two demos that Nicky Epstein was doing. The first was on edging techniques. This woman is fabulous. What a great personality, nice, and patient. Her techniques are simple, straightforward, and the results are nice looking. The second demo she did was on using flowers as embellishments. Using some of her Edging techniques, she created the great flowers for bags, hats, scarves, anything you can think of. It was great. After the hour with Nicky Epstein, I wondered off a bit looking around again, I went to the NY knitter’s guild booth to say hello to Helen (of Troy) from KR. By that time (a little after 1pm) it was crazy there too many people, Union Square is a busy place to begin with and this was horrible, you’d walk to a table and people would push you out of the way for a pattern you can get on most websites. Oh well. The sun was shining and there was little shade, I was by myself so I decided not to stay around for the fashion shows I went shopping instead. Stop one was back to Barnes and Noble to pick up “Knitting on the Edge”, I did walk back to the author table to see if Nicky was still around to sign it, but she was getting ready to judge one of the events. On my way back out, I walked past the learn to knit/crochet tables, the line was wrapped around the corner. It made me think about volunteering to teach for next year’s.

From Union Square I walked down to the knit café, it was a madhouse in there so I just kept going to downtown yarns. I didn’t find anything, so keep walking, and remember it was a gorgeous day. I took a stroll down to Purl Soho, I came out with three skeins of Koigu, I am going to do a variation on a box stitch scarf in “Knitting on the Edge”. I also found a copy of “Socks Soar on Circular Needles” discounted 40%. I was very excited about that. I was looking for something for my secret pal, but I’m still hesitating on what kind of yarn I want to send her. I better get my creative juices flowing.


No comments: