Tuesday, January 18, 2005

To gift knit or not to gift knit...

A friend of mine is pregnant and expecting her first child in June. This past weekend I received a phone call from her mother discussing her baby shower. Immediately, I started thinking about what cute knitted things I could make for this bundle-of-joy-to-be. Visions of hats, booties, sweaters and blankets in pastel colors and soft luscious wool ran through my head.

Then it hit me: What if she doesn’t appreciate hand-knit gifts?

Do you spend the time, money and energy on making something that will probably be looked at with a sneer of indifference? No, of course not! I keep trying to tell myself that this woman was an art history major, that she can recognize the time and love put into a hand-knit item. Then I tell myself “well, she’s always been a snob too…”

It’s really a shame that I’m actually wasting time thinking about this. It’s also a shame that some people are so shallow.

2 comments:

Kim in Oregon said...

Hmmm. A dilemma. What if you knit a hat or something small that isn't that much of a time investment? I knit the baby hat from 'Last Minute Knitted Gifts' for a guy I work with (well, for his baby) and it only took a couple of hours. I enjoyed knitting it so whether they like it or not isn't that much of an issue. Just a thought.

Heath said...

Kim,

That's a really good suggestion. Thanks!