Friday, November 05, 2004

R.E.M.: The morning after

R.E.M. rocked Madison Square Garden last night, and got to be there. I feel very spoiled, myself, fiancé, sister and soon to be brother-in-law were all sitting in the 6th row 5 seats to the right of center stage thanks to my fanclub tickets. I have never had the pleasure of watching a show from that vantage-point, and it was amazing.

The set list was keeping very much in line with what they have been playing over the last two weeks. It was a decent mix of old and new stuff, my personal highlights of the night: “Begin the Begin”, “Sweetness Follows”and “Life and How to Live It” because I have never heard them live before.

I had my digital camera with me and Tim and sister tried getting pictures but yet again I was stupid and never thought to replace the batteries until it was too late. The camera barely made it into the first song. They got me 6 pictures. Here are the best two. The first is of Mike Mills; their bass player and my favorite band member since I started listen to them in 1991. The second is of Michael Stipe. He really goes all out to make his performances, interesting.





This was the Fifth time I’ve seen them since 1995. Each of these shows has been so special, and each has been unique. To Tim, Liz & Frank, Thank you for being dragged to another show, and for putting up with me being a bitchy freak. To the guys in the band: Thank You, Thank You! See you next time.

No comments: