Friday, April 01, 2005

Feeling foolish on April Fools Day

Last week I found a pattern for a crochet baby blanket using the “Redheart Teri” I had bought back in February. It’s a blanket of afghan squares, “this is a piece of cake” I thought. I had taught myself to crochet, almost 18 years ago; I would do a small project, get distracted or put down and stop for a few years, and try again. Lately I haven’t been doing any crocheting, I’d rather be knitting. This was a very simple blanket.

I made a square and first, the gauge was way off, second, it was bulging in the middle. I changed my hook and made another square. This one was right on gauge, but again a bulge in the middle. I make a third, guess what, another bulge. Tuesday I brought one of the squares to a co-worker, who crochets, she thought I was just crocheting too tight. I tried again later that day and had the same problem. I tossed the needle & yarn into the corner of the room and said, “Forget it”.

This morning I’m getting ready for work when what do I see on the floor: the original square. I pick it up and look at it; all of a sudden it hits me and know what’s wrong. “Heather, you’re a fool”, I went to an old stitch book and looked up how to dc. Guess what everyone, how you create a dc and how I remembered are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! Yes folks I’ve been driving myself crazy because I was doing the wrong stitch.

I leave you now with two pictures. The first is of said foolishness (YES I do realize how bad that square looks), the second is of my cat pumpkin (just because).

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

No comments: