Thursday, September 30, 2004

OUCH!

I’m not sure but I think I may have a knitting related injury. Several weeks ago, my left thumb was aching for apparently no reason. The day before, I had worked for several hours on my Charlotte’s Web shawl. Darling Fiancé joked that I may have “knitters thumb” (very original huh?), I did think, “Maybe I had overdone it with the knitting”. I noticed that the thumb and index finger on my right hand kept falling asleep as I was knitting, so maybe I was stressing the left thumb as well.

I picked up Charlotte yesterday morning to get in a few rows before leaving for work. I hadn’t touched her since before going to Vegas. Again, as I was knitting the right thumb and index finger kept falling asleep (that feeling of pins and numbness is horrible). Then by yesterday afternoon, the left thumb was aching, I couldn’t grab a glass without having a horrible pain. Last night I rubbed “tiger balm” down the thumb before bed; it is much better today, just a slight ache.

It’s very peculiar, the numbness and pain does not occur when I knit anything else. I’ve been working on other projects the last few weeks with no side effects. I knit for 2 hours on the plane Friday and was fine. Yet, ½ hour on Charlotte, and I miserable.

Here is my best guess on why this is happening. I am TERRIFIED of dropping stitches on Charlotte. I have never done lace before and honestly do not know if I could properly pick up a dropped stitch in a lace pattern. This has never ever been a concern before, I know what knit and purl stitches look like, I’ve picked up stitches before without batting an eye, heck I’ve even purposely dropped stitches down as far down as 10 rows to fix a mistake. As a result of my fear of dropping stitches on charlotte as I get further and further into it, increasing stitches, I think I am clutching the needles harder then normal. This is the only explanation. I may go home tonight and check my gauge again, I’d bet I’m tightening up. Oh well….
Other then that life is going pretty well.

5 comments:

Amie said...

Ack! Be careful! Try knitting something you're very comfortable with, a simple scarf on comfortable needles or something. If the problem comes up still, go to a doctor! If it doesn't, try alternating Charlotte with the simple project...

Take it easy! You don't want to do permanent damage!

Heath said...

I'll be carefule Amie!

Michelle said...

I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like carpal tunnel, to me. My three fingers on my left hand go numb and my wrist aches something terrible. Either go to the doc, or buy a wrist brace and wear it at night while sleeping. It'll probably feel worse the first couple of nights with the brace on, but it'll help and after a couple weeks or so, the pain should start to alleviate...until the next bout, that is. [g]

Anonymous said...

Hi He h I’ve been looking for Slots related blogs and I came across yours on OUCH! during my trawl, so I thought it would be polite to let you know about my visit. I have just recently started a daily news feed on my own site and you are most welcome to come and visit me at Slots. I would also be happy to trade links with you if you are interested. Bye for now and have a nice day! Roy

Anonymous said...

Hi He h I’ve been looking for Slots related blogs and I came across yours on OUCH! during my trawl, so I thought it would be polite to let you know about my visit. I have just recently started a daily news feed on my own site and you are most welcome to come and visit me at Slots. I would also be happy to trade links with you if you are interested. Bye for now and have a nice day! Roy